Wednesday, January 25, 2012

New Calendar

As soon as I saw this project featured on One Lucky Day, I knew I would want to do it for my desk at work. Mine turned out a little differently from the original, but I'm very happy with it. I had some trouble finding the 7 Gypsies book board that the project called for, but eventually I was able to order it online. I didn't take a picture of the back, but the original book board was bare chipboard on that side. I glued down some scrapbook paper and sanded off the excess.

I downloaded and printed off the calendar pages, and went to town with inks and stamps to decorate them a little. I had the beaded dangle from a purse I'd used a couple of summers ago. After the purse was tired and worn out, I kept the dangle thinking I'd use it for something some day. I tried it out draped across the top, and liked the idea, but I was stumped for a while trying to figure out how to attach it at the top. I dug through a box of odds & ends and came across some old cubic zirconia earrings that I no longer wear. I used a Japanese screw punch (a book binding tool) with the smallest size drill to make holes, and poked the earrings through, catching links in the chain. I put a plastic earring back behind the board, and cut off the excess earring post with some strong snips. Then I put in a drop of strong adhesive and let it sit to harden for several hours. It did the trick!

Since the hard work of creating the calendar pages was already done for me, this project didn't take too much time to complete. I love quick projects like this! It didn't cost much to do, and I get a little happy thrill of satisfaction each time I look at it. It's a small way to add beauty to my day.

Immi

1 comment:

Sarah Jolly said...

I love this! You never cease to amaze me with your creations!