Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Gift Bags


I can't believe how long it's been since I've posted anything. Naturally I'm crazy enough to try to get it going again in December. It will be interesting to see if I can manage any more this month. I started this post quite a while ago, but left it hanging. So without further ado...

Creativity interests me, but I don't really understand how it works. I see projects that others have done, and I think "I could never have thought of that!" I wonder how much of creativity is derivative. I know that soaking up the ideas and work of others can spark something seemingly unrelated in me. Or perhaps I'll start with their idea, but make it into something that reflects my own vision.

This project began from an idea I'd seen that I filed away in my mind to try sometime. I've become slightly acquainted with an artist who lives in Florida because I stumbled on her blog. I read her profile, and realized that we had the same church in common. I don't know too many people who like paper art the way I do, so this was intriguing. She has been published many times, and runs her own online business. Occasionally, she will post a video tutorial and that's where these bags enter the story. You can see the original tutorial here.

I watched the video, and loved the idea. It combines sewing, paper, and using up odds & ends. What's not to love?! Like many ideas I think are awesome, however, it sat unused for a while in a dusty corner of my brain. Sometimes I get aggravated with myself because I seem to collect ideas more than execute projects.

When I had some friends over for a jewelry party, I wanted to present the invitations in a fun and (dare I say) creative way. I thought that the folded invitations would fit into these cute little gift bags.

Now, this is what I call fun! First, of course, I had to run out and buy the bags. No luck at Target, but Walmart came through for me. Then I gathered up random pieces of paper, ribbon, fabric, buttons...whatever I thought I could sew or glue down. I grabbed whatever was handy and started sewing. It was hard to stop, so I did end up with a few extra. I think they'd be a great holder for a special card that can be hand delivered.

Happy December!

No comments: