Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Massage as Therapy

Massages. Are you for them or against them? I am a big fan of a good massage, myself. I know there's another camp, though, that can't stand the thought of having some stranger touch them. Doesn't bother me one bit. Massage, manicure, pedicure, you name it and I'm in. The only part I don't like about manicures and pedicures is that they want to talk to me. I'm not a big fan of chatting - just do your thing and let me relax. Now with a massage, the room is quiet and warm. There is usually gentle music playing. The masseuse only says what is necessary during the process. Just the way I like it!

Today for the first time, I had a therapeutic massage. Now that's a completely different animal from a "feel-good" massage! I've started seeing a chiropractor, and part of the therapy is regular massage. I've got some really tight muscles and knots in my back & neck, and have had for years. We'll see how it goes, but I'm hopeful.

The room was quiet, warm and dim. The massage bed was heated, with warm blankets. Soft music played in the background. So far, so good. That's where the resemblance to a salon massage ends. Boy, did she work me over! There were places on my back where she even used her elbow to get to some tough spots. She told me at the beginning to let her know if it was ever too much. I'll admit it hurt, but I never felt that I couldn't take it. I sense from the amount of discomfort that I truly need this. 

I came home and took a hot bath after supper, and followed the advice to use icing afterwards. For those of you who know my weaknesses, it wasn't chocolate icing! I think a little ibuprofen at bedtime is in order, too. Tomorrow we'll see if I can move at all!

Here's to good health!
Immi

No comments: