Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Mixed Media Snowman

Hello! Although it's been a while since I've posted, I haven't been lazy - just busy. I hope you enjoyed your Christmas as much as I did. It was so nice to see family and watch the grandkids enjoy opening their presents.

I started this little project before Christmas, but didn't have time to finish it until after the new year. I had a tacky little metal tray I'd picked up at a thrift store because I liked the size and the color. I decided to use it as a frame for a mixed media snowman. (I was inspired by watching this artist's video.) I wish I'd taken a picture of the tray before I started, but you'll have to imagine flowers painted in the middle. As you can see, it's rather rusty around the edges, but that's the way I like it!


I cut a piece of watercolor paper to fit the inside of the tray, and had fun creating a multicolored background with gelatos and water. I sketched out the shape I wanted for my snowman and painted over the background with gesso. Then I used more gelatos, Inktense pencils, and acrylic paint to add more color, shading, etc. I also had fun with random rubber stamping and inks. I sewed some black buttons on, and cut a little orange "carrot" for his nose. I chose a phrase from a Christmas song, typed it on the computer and cut it out with an old pair of pinking shears. After the phrase was glued down, I put gel medium on the tray and back of my paper and glued everything together. It was difficult to get it to stick around the edges, but I kept pressing and smoothing the paper down until it was stuck good and tight. I gave it plenty of time to dry and added sparkly glitter glue around  the edges.

I had a lot of fun making this, and I'm happy that I found a good use for that tray (why do I buy these things, anyway??)

Till next time,

Immi

2 comments:

Gio said...

Such a gorgeous upcycling, Immi! A gorgeous idea. Love the background (Gelatos, eh, cool!) and the snow man.Brava!

Tracy said...

Swoonworthy Immi..gorgeous colours, love it!! Singing the song and ... snowing here, lol xoxox