Wednesday, July 13, 2011

In Praise of Ironing

I bought some fabric the other day for a project I've been meaning to do. Now, generally speaking, ironing is not one of the things I'd put on my bucket list. I will pass over a blouse in the closet waiting to be ironed any day of the week. There's something about ironing cotton fabric, though, that I really enjoy. When I wash new fabric, I like to take it out of the dryer while it's still a teeny bit damp. When that nice, hot iron hits it, the steam rises and I can hear it hissing as the moisture evaporates. And the smell! I don't know what it is, but the fragrance that cotton gives off when it's ironed is delicious. It's intriguing to watch the color of the fabric change ever so slightly as it dries under the iron. The wrinkles are smoothed out, and the fabric is lovely to the touch. I enjoy lining up the selvedges and folding it carefully to put away until I'm ready to use it. Ahh! What a great simple pleasure!

No comments: