Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Preliminary Sketch

Somerset Studio (one of my favorite artsy magazines) regularly encourages submissions of art work from readers. In the back of the magazine, there is always a page with themes that are going to be used in the months ahead. Recently, one of the themes got my attention: the power of words. I immediately thought about the verse in Hebrews that talks about the word of God being living and active. I got a picture in my mind of a vine, and thought it would be interesting to pursue the idea. Here's a preliminary sketch of what I'm thinking.





The idea I had is of a rather free-flowing, kind of crazy vine, with a part of that verse written on it. In the middle, I'm thinking about using "YHWH" rather than "God" - possibly using Hebrew letters. I'll definitely need some assistance with that!! I think the vine would be cut out and collaged onto another surface, but I'm not sure yet what I'll use as a substrate - maybe a canvas. I'm thinking about submitting it just to say I did. I've been promising myself for some time now that One Of These Days I would do just that. I'll keep you posted!

No comments: