Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Alcohol Ink Cards

Whew! I can't believe that it's already September. Looking back, I see that it was July since I last posted, but in my defense I've had a lot of great family stuff going on.

I thought I'd share some cards I did using alcohol inks. I don't get these out very often - they can be messy, and I am limited in the techniques I've learned for them. I do love the cool backgrounds that can be created with them, so here goes.


This first card has a bright and bold background created with alcohol inks on glossy cardstock (all the cards I'll show use glossy cardstock). The cute little partygoers is a stamp from Prima. The "happy birthday" is from a Tim Holtz set. I did a little simple watercoloring with dye inks on the kiddos' clothing, and mounted the panel on some bright orange cardstock. One of these days, I'm going to run out of that cardstock and I will be so sad. It's actually leftover covers from a planner made one year at the high school where I worked. Rather than toss them in the recycle bin, I brought them home - the color is great and the paper has a cool texture to it.



This next card is more subdued, and I used some metallic mixative along with the inks which gives it a pearlized sheen - very pretty! I stamped a large leaf (Rubber Nature ArtStamps) along with the "hello" sentiment (Jillibean Soup) and mounted both on some gray cardstock I ran through my Sizzix with an embossing folder to give it that raised text.


This card with the sweet bird shows another bright alcohol ink background, but just a little strip of it. I like the way it adds some great color to a black & white stamped image. The card front is stamped with a French script stamp (Hero Arts), a flourish (unknown), and a great scattered dot stamp I've had for years (Stampin' Up!).

One more...

This one might have been better with a less busy background, but I do like the combination of colors. The gorgeous flower arrangement is a stamp by Prickley Pear. I should try coloring it with watercolor someday.

I've got a few more cards that I'll post later - they all feature the same stamp.

Till then,

Immi





No comments: