Friday, November 14, 2014

Muse #93

I had fun this week taking inspiration from the card posted on the Muse blog.


I took away a couple of things from the original card: the simple shape of the tree and the "jewels" adorning it. 

Using Strathmore Bristol, I inked the paper with green Distress Inks, flicking some water droplets on top after heat setting it. I trimmed out my tree shape and set it aside.

For the background, I wanted to try to imitate a night sky. There are several good tutorials out there, and after watching a couple, I pulled out three shades of blue Distress Inks. These blend really nicely on the smooth surface of the Bristol paper. After heat setting, I decided to try to deepen the colors and was really amazed at how much more intense I was able to make it. I love the way that Distress Inks blend with each other!

I used a couple of different products to imitate the starry sky - the effect I like the most was simply dotting on Iridescent Medium by Liquitex.

I glued down some sequins onto my tree and was happy to find that I had a star shaped sequin for the tree top. The tree trunk was cut from some brown paper in my scrap drawer. Now that I think about it, the only stamping on this card is on the sentiment banner. I don't know the name of the set that the word came from, but the little red stars are from a Hero Arts set called "Birthday Messages". I used Stampin' Up! ink in Real Red for the stars and also to run around the edge of the banner.

Here is the original inspiration card:

Muse #93

I hope you have a great weekend!

Immi

4 comments:

Ardyth said...

This is fun and whimsical and reminds me of a craft I did as a child, with buttons and green construction paper (but much better executed! lol!) Thanks so much for joining us at Muse - hope to see you in the DT call!

lostinpaper said...

Your background is incredible, what a wonderful and fun card!

Gio said...

Gorgeous original, but yours is more rich and the blue of the background is marvellous!

Gio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.