Monday, November 24, 2014

Christmas Tag Card

Although I usually don't make my own Christmas cards, it's easy to find inspiration this time of year. I have some new stamps that I won in a drawing (Winter Wonderland by Winnie & Walter) and wanted to try them out:


I started with a plain manila tag, colored with Broken China distress ink and a blending tool. I inked the tree stamp with Peeled Paint Distress Ink and spritzed it lightly with water before stamping over my blue background. After heat setting, I mixed up a little white acrylic paint with water and flicked it over the tag with a paintbrush to create a snowy effect. 

The stag was stamped with Ranger's Potting Soil Archival Ink and coated with clear embossing powder while wet. After heat setting, I poured on additional embossing powder and heat set it again for a nice, smooth look.

I wanted to layer some papers behind the tag, so I chose a red plaid and cut it into a tag shape. The white paper with green dots is a Project Life journal tag which came printed with grid lines. I stamped the dots using Penny Black's Dots in Space stamp and Peeled Paint ink, then cut it into a tag shape. After punching holes in my homemade tags, I tied them behind my stamped tag using some dark red sheer ribbon.

The white panel behind the tags started as plain white cardstock. I used Ranger's Texture Paste through a Prima chevron stencil, then sprinkled some iridescent embossing powder over that. I let it sit for a few minutes and then heat set it.

The sentiment is inked with Potting Soil and embossed with clear powder. I colored the white cardstock with Aged Mahogany Distress Ink and a blending tool, and cut the banner shape by hand.

Everything was adhered to a dark brown cardstock base, cut to be a top folding card.

I'm linking this card up to two challenges: Winnie & Walter Playdate #4 and Muse Challenge #95. I pulled inspiration from both of these challenges to make my card. My colors I chose from the Winnie & Walter image:

w&w_playdate4_oct2014
Winnie & Walter Playdate #4

The idea of layered tags came from the Muse image:

Muse Challenge #95

I hope you have a great time this week, enjoying Thanksgiving with family and friends!

Immi

8 comments:

Keep It Sweet and Simple said...

Terrific card.
I am a little relieved that at least one person has taken inspiration from my card :-)
I love the sparkle in the background and the clever way you made the tag. Your 'flicked' snow is fabulous.
Caroline (Muse Guest Designer) xxx

Connie said...

I have been going through your posts and looking at your cards, they are treasures. Getting a Christmas card from you would warm anyone's heart, even on the coldest of winter days. So Pretty!
I am your newest follower and I would like to invite you over to visit and to follow me back. I love making new blogging friends and sharing ideas.
Connie :)

I Card Everyone said...

Immi you have done a wonderful job combining these challenges! Your card is beautiful...
=] Michele

Gio said...

Once again, I prefer your own version. Love the embossed deer and the chevroned background!

Ardyth said...

Beautiful! Love the third layer and the soft feel of the colours! So glad you joined us at Muse this week!

Ardyth said...

Beautiful! Love the third layer and the soft feel of the colours! So glad you joined us at Muse this week!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Such an amazing amount of texture you achieved on this card utilising so many different techniques. I just love that sleek and satiny stag, and the beautiful work behind him in the form of that tree and blue background. Very cleverly done.

Anonymous said...

Hey Immi!! I love all of the texture you created on this card. The background is amazing. Nicely done.